I am working on a Pyramid app and just moved it over to pyramid_sqla. It
makes sense to have it as a package because it offers a lot more than just
initializing the database. Being able to use the h global and serve static
files in a familiar way will make it easier to port Pylons projects and give
Pylons developers a consistent way to carry over those ideas into Pyramid
(without having to implement them our own ways in every application or end
up writing our own package to fulfill the same purpose).

As far as the model is concerned, I typically only use a single model. I
also prefer the idea of keeping it in a package for easy maintenance and a
cleaner models.py.

-Eric