On 26/12/2011 07:46, Mike Orr wrote:
I haven't said much about SQLAHelper in recent months, so many users
may not be aware that it exists. This has led to other packages that
do approximately the same thing.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way, and I guess I'm a bit bummed that my perception is that people have consistently ignored mortar_rdb, which covers exactly the same territory. More galling for me is that it's existed since early 2010, but I wasn't allowed to open source it until early 2011.

Still, I'd like to know what I did wrong that meant people just ignored it. My only guess here is that mortar_rdb felt "too heavyweight", given the (optional) mention of sqlalchemy-migrate in the usage docs? Or maybe I didn't publicise it enough? Seriously, I'd like to know, since I feel the same about testfixtures and mailinglogger...

Nonetheless, things SQLAHelper is missing from my perspective:

- the ability to pass parameters to the declarative base
(see http://packages.python.org/mortar_rdb/api.html#mortar_rdb.declarative_base)

- control over the session that is stored. As I read it, you'd need to call Session.configure in every request. (see http://packages.python.org/mortar_rdb/api.html#mortar_rdb.registerSession)

I'm planning quite a big chunk of work on mortar_rdb soon (to replace sqlalchemy-migrate with alembic, pep8 the api and do a bit of weeding) so I'd like to avoid duplicating sqlahelper if possible, but then it may just be that sqlahelper covers the common case and mortar_rdb covers the less common but more complicated cases)

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk