I still have this problem:
session saved in 1.6 with a black background; opens in 1.5 (and earlier)
with a red background

Many of my collaborators use old versions of pymol, frequently installed
onto their machines when they were bought X years ago, and this essentially
makes it so I cannot use pymol 1.6 as I cannot share sessions with them (at
least not without getting weird e-mails asking why I have a sudden affinity
for the color red).

-David