M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> BTW: How about having an "incubator" phase for new core devs ?
> The new candidate will get commit rights for say 3 months and after those 3
> months, the mentor then suggests whether make the status permanent or not.
>
> As long as this is stated clearly from the beginning, I don't think people
> will
> feel offended if they end up not receiving the permanent status, and this will
> reduce the barrier for entry a lot. Learning on the job is a rather common
> practice in the industry these days :-)

As someone who received commit rights based entirely (almost?) on willingness
rather than contributions, I think this is a great idea. I certainly would not
have been at all offended if I'd been told "don't touch anything apart from X
and we'll reevaluate in three months." Being clear about it at the start is the
important part - having a title like "probationary" or "provisional" makes that
pretty easy.

Cheers,
Steve