Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Jim Gallacher wrote:

Alternative 1 - no version changes get committed to trunk:
Alternative 2 - two version changes get committed to trunk:

I think neither one is right. I should be:

svn co $URL/trunk trunk
cd trunk
 (Change the MPV_STRING to "3.2.xb")
svn ci -m "changed version in trunk"

# note the next line uses remote urls
svn copy $URL/trunk $URL/tags/release-3-2-xb

# note "export" not "co"
svn export $URL/tags/release-3-2-xb mod_python-3.x.x

The "export" command above should produce a clean set of files where you should not need to make any changes and be able to just tar it as is (well, except for the html documentation step).

Actually, I was doing an export, but from the working copy which was checked out. FYI here is Makefile I have been using (but with paths changed to reflect the next beta):

REPOS=https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_python
BRANCH=tags/release-3-2-3b
VERSION=mod_python-3.2.3b
FILE=mod_python-3.2.3b.tgz

# checkout the trunk to prepare for tagging
# make sure you update the version info in src/include/mpversion.h
# and lib/python/mod_python/__init__.py

# Steps required for preparing a release are:
#    make tag
#    make co
# Manually change the version in the working copy
#
# and ci the change to the tags/release-3-x-x branch
#   make dist

tag:
        @echo "Creating branch ${BRANCH}"
        svn copy ${REPOS}/trunk ${REPOS}/${BRANCH}
        @echo
        @echo "Next step is 'make co'"
        @echo

co:
        svn co ${REPOS}/${BRANCH} ${VERSION}
        @echo "Change the version info in
        @echo "${VERSION}/src/include/mpversion.h and"
        @echo "${VERSION}/lib/python/mod_python/__init__.py"
        @echo "before proceeding"
        @echo "Make sure you check these changes in before proceeding"
        @echo "with make dist"

dist: update config doc package md5sum save

update:
        cd ${VERSION} && svn update
        svn export ${VERSION} /tmp/mod_python

config:
cd /tmp/mod_python && ./configure --with-apxs=`which apxs2` --with-python-src=/usr/src/python2.3

doc:
        cd /tmp/mod_python/Doc && make dist

package:
        svn export ${VERSION} /tmp/${VERSION}
        cp -r /tmp/mod_python/doc-html /tmp/${VERSION}
        cd /tmp && tar czvf ${FILE} ${VERSION}/

md5sum:
        cd /tmp && md5sum ${FILE} > ${FILE}.md5

# grab a copy of tarball and md5 files
save:
        copy /tmp/${FILE} .
        copy /tmp/${FILE}.md5 .

clean:
        cd /tmp && rm -rf ${VERSION}
        cd /tmp && rm -rf mod_python

# end of Makefile

I'll adjust this Makefile according to your recommendations. It might be useful for future generations of packagers if we stick this in a svn branch. Something like branches/release-tools or maybe just branches/tools.

Regards,
Jim