On 7/21/22 11:16, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> No, Discord is a different thing; it does text and voice communication
>> channels in real-time. If you're familiar with Slack, it's broadly
>> similar in purpose.
>
> Thanks (and to the others who replied). It seems like they've tried to
> make it a game, giving me the "opportunity" to buy boosts (or
> whatever). What's up with that?

Discord has grown up in the gaming community, its use as a general chat
platform was possibly not anticipated...   as one who is not at all
affected by gamification of things (e.g. I'm utterly unmotivated by
people trying to award badges for unlocking accomplishments, etc., but I
know it's considered to work for many people) if comes off seeming
silly, but I can just ignore that part.