h.vetin...@gmx.com schrieb am 18.07.22 um 18:04:
One of the comments in the retro was:
Searching the archives is much easier and have found me many old threads that I
probably would have problem finding before since I haven’t been subscribed for
that long.

I'm actually reading python-dev, c.l.py etc. through Gmane, and have done that ever since I joined. Simply because it's a mailing list of which I don't need a local (content) copy, and wouldn't want one. Gmane seems to have a complete archive that's searchable, regardless of "when I subscribed".

It's really sad that Discourse lacks an NNTP interface. There's an unmaintained bridge to NNTP servers [1], but not an emulating interface that would serve the available discussions via NNTP messages, so that users can get them into their NNTP/Mail clients to read them in proper discussion threads. I think adding that next to the existing web interface would serve everyone's needs just perfectly.

Anyone up for giving that a try? It can't be *that* difficult. ;-)

Stefan

[1] https://github.com/sman591/discourse-nntp-bridge