On Thu, Jul 21, 2022, 15:26 Baptiste Carvello <
devel2...@baptiste-carvello.net> wrote:

> Le 21/07/2022 à 07:59, Stefan Behnel a écrit :
> >
> > I'm actually reading python-dev, c.l.py etc. through Gmane, and have
> > done that ever since I joined. Simply because it's a mailing list of
> > which I don't need a local (content) copy, and wouldn't want one. Gmane
> > seems to have a complete archive that's searchable, regardless of "when
> > I subscribed".
> >
> > It's really sad that Discourse lacks an NNTP interface. […]
>
> +1000
>
> For this switch to accommodate all use cases, Discourse really needs a
> "lurking" story.
>
> That's lacking right now, possibly by design (Discourse developers are
> quite opinionated*, and anonymous reading seemingly doesn't fit their
> worldview). Maybe they can be convinced, though…

Lurker here. :) I lurk, both on -ideas and -dev, primarily to stay
well-informed on new ideas coming down the pipeline, and occasionally (but
rarely) voice my two cents.

I signed up on Discourse after this thread started, and turned on mailing
list mode immediately. So far, I have no problems with that. It suits my
purpose just fine once I muted the Users forum. I might mute a few others
soon.

I consume the mailing lists (and now Discourse) through standard Gmail
interfaces (both the web interface and the official Android app), so I
cannot speak to the lack of proper threading (it's all linear anyway in
Gmail). I do use filters in Gmail to label threads by list, and I found
that Discourse plays nice with this: each forum, like each mailing list,
has its own mailing list attribute with a corresponding "list:" search
prefix in Gmail, so filtering, labeling, and organizing by forum is easy.
(Example: https://snipboard.io/WGF6Qz.jpg)