On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 6:47 PM Steven Barker <blckkn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 6:28 AM Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> > What would be a good resource to read about this - where do I learn how
>> > to use discuss.python.org's in the “mailing list mode”
>>
>> Is this note enough?

> [...]
>
> So last night I tried activating mailing list mode, and I'm not remotely
> satisfied with the experience so far. Where mailing lists are concerned,
> I'm *only *subscribed to python-dev. Not python-users, not -ideas, not
> -packaging (if that's still a thing). But Discourse's mailing list mode
> sends me messages for all of those things in such a volume that it drowns
> out any discussions on topics that would have shown up on python-dev (I
> think one PEP discussion message came in overnight, compared to 20+ posts
> on other tags). After the first two -users messages came in almost
> immediately, I tried telling discourse to mute the tags I don't care about,
> but it seems not to work at all. The page with the mailing list mode toggle
> warns that it overrides other email settings, so I think I just get
> everything regardless of other settings.
>
> If my only option is to be subscribed to a firehose of stuff I don't care
> about, I'm going to disable mailing list mode and if python-dev dies, I'll
> pretty much quit following Python's development. Now, I'm not a very
> important Python developer, I'm not a core dev, and my contributions are a
> few bug reports and a few patches over many years. But if there's no way to
> lurk on a modest-volume mailing list and contribute only occasionally,
> you're not going to get nearly as many people paying attention. I'm sure I
> could set up a whole suite of filters on my own end (e.g. discard any email
> with a subject starting with "[py] [Users]"), but that's an absurd and
> unnecessary burden, and it will only get worse the more categories you add
> to discourse (and I think the ease of adding categories is supposed to be a
> *feature*). This plan is going to drive developers like me away.
>
> For discourse mailing list mode to be a reasonable substitute for
> python-dev, it needs filtering on the sending end to work. Ideally there
> would be a way to subscribe only to the things I care about. Maybe that
> exists, but it's buried in menus I don't understand (or which mailing list
> mode overrides).

Mailing list mode indeed turns on the entire firehose, but you can
selectively turn things off (like the Users category). If you go to a
category page, click the bell icon in the upper right, and choose Muted,
you'll stop getting emails from that category, even in mailing list mode. I
muted the Users category almost immediately, which drastically slowed the
firehose. I'm now monitoring to decide what other categories are annoying
enough to mute, but the flow is slow enough when combined with my Gmail
filters to not need immediate action like the Users category did.