Baptiste Carvello writes:

 > There is a small catch though: unless I'm mistaken, Discourse won't let
 > you subscribe to just a set of categories, so any filtering has to
 > happen on the Mailman side.

There are two approaches that come to mind.  The first is
list-per-category, which would most efficiently be implemented in the
MTA, but could be implemented in Mailman, either with existing spam-
filtering or with a bit of code in a custom Rule.  This would make
sense if categories change slowly and have substantial traffic,
because creating a new list requires admin intervention at a high
level (moderators can't do it, list owners can't do it).

The second would be to use a feature called topics.  Changing topics
also requires admin intervention, but list owners can do it.  Also, in
the case of creation of a new category, individual users can access it
immediately by using the archives (which don't respect topics IIRC,
never used them myself) or by subscribing to the "no topic" topic
(which normally defaults off, again IIRC -- if not, that can be
changed by the list owner IIRC, if not, a trivial patch).

 > If we wanted an equivalent of python-list, we could just forgo the
 > filtering and pass on posts from all Discourse categories. But for
 > python-dev, the volume is too high, and existing python-dev subscribers
 > probably don't want a category like "Help".

That seem accurate to me.