Ethan Furman writes:

 > It seems to me the best possible outcome of Discourse vs email is
 > somebody / some company donating the time and/or funding to improve
 > Discourse's and Mailman's abilities to interoperate with each
 > other.

There are fundamental differences between email's aysnchronous
message streams and Discourse's enforced single message stream.  These
can't be perfectly reconciled, despite how fast email can be nowadays.

Since Mailman (and its users!) expects messages to arrive
asynchronously and handles that using threading information, as far as
I can see the Mailman side is handled as well as it can be now that
Discourse provides threading information, and you just subscribe
Mailman to Discourse.  And obviously we can just sign up Discourse to
Mailman.  The latter direction may be harder, depending on whether
Discourse can make sense of batches of messages being composed
independently of its message flow.  The fact that Discourse didn't
provide threading information to email users in the past suggest that
it has an alternative mechanism for organizing mail flows, and message
IDs and Reference headers from email may not be so easily integrated.

I know nothing about Discourse internals, but I suspect that's going
to be the difficult part if there is one.  With a little luck that
will be no problem. ;-)

Steve