On Jan 21, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Collin Winter wrote:

Hi Collin,

>I don't believe that introducing the Unladen Swallow JIT will make
>maintaining a stable ABI per PEP 384 more difficult. We've been careful about
>not exporting any C++ symbols via PyAPI_FUNC(), so I don't believe that will
>be an issue either, but Jeffrey can comment more deeply on this issue.

Cool.  Martin seems to agree that U-S will have little effect on PEP 384.

>If PEP 384 is accepted, I'd like it to include a testing strategy so
>that we can be sure that we haven't accidentally broken ABI
>compatibility. That testing should ideally be automated.

Agreed.

>To be clear, you're talking about embedding Python in a C/C++
>application/library?
>
>We have successfully integrated Unladen Swallow into a large C++
>application that uses Python as an embedded scripting language. There
>were no special issues or restrictions that I had to overcome to do
>this. If you have any applications/libraries in particular that you'd
>like me to test, I'd be happy to do that.

Martin's follow up reminds me what the issues with C++ here are.  They center
around which C++ compilers you use on which platforms.  Solaris, and to some
extent Windows IIRC, were the most problematic for the work I was doing 3+
years ago.  Usually, everything's fine if you're compiling all the code with
the same compiler.  The problem comes if you want to mix say C++ libraries
compiled with Sun's C++ compiler and Python compiled with g++.  Unlike the C
world, where it doesn't matter much, once C++ is in the mix you have to be
very careful about how all your libraries and core binary are compiled and
linked.

This might not be a show-stopper, but it will make things more difficult for
Python users, so we have to add this to the list of implications for including
C++ in Python's core.

>Yes; there is
>http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/source/browse/trunk/Python/llvm_notes.txt,

Excellent.  Thanks for the answers.