So I thought that Steve made the opposite mistake, accidentally using regular
ASCII quotes when he intended to use Unicode quotes. But it turns out that
Steve's mail client sends emails with a HTML part and a plain text part, and
the plain text part substitutes the ASCII quotes for smart quotes. Very clever!

My mail client prefers the plain text part when it is available, which is
usually exactly what I would want. But in this case, it confused me for a bit.

--
Steven

[Steve Barnes]
So we currently have a situation where not only does whether code works or not
depends on who typed it, in what environment, with what settings but also on
the same factors for who received it - so I could use Outlook or Word to send a
code fragment to 100 people and 5 say that is great it works and the other 95
end up thinking that there is something wrong with their installation.
Personally I don't think this fits in with the pythonic way of thinking!