On 22/05/2020 18:21, Mike Miller wrote:
More importantly, does it help readability?  I think it does, however not strongly.  I'm perhaps +0.5 on a few of these characters.  Word processors do upgrades to hyphens, for example, to make the resulting doc more readable.  Is that kind of thing useful for Python?

Generally speaking, no. Editors that do things for you behind your back are an open invitation to bugs. I find that for most word processing that I do, I have to turn off the automatic translation/correction/whatever to prevent them from incorrectly rewriting my input. Prettifying code so that it no longer runs when you cut and paste is one example; more often I find they mangle the capitalisation of company names, product ID and so forth. I would hate to find an editor starting to do similar things for me. Sometimes even basic things like "electric modes" (auto-indentation after you hit RETURN) can make more work for you!

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd