On 2020-05-22 05:57, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
render . However, that does not mean it will render ok
as a single-cell character in a mono-spaced font - as the
character "east asian width" property is marked as "A" (Ambiguous),

Yes, though I'm sure no one is seriously proposing using wide, or combining chars, or other obscure things. Just some useful symbols from around the 0x2000 range of the BMP, which are widely/universally supported by now. To be honest, keyboard entry is the least interesting aspect of this.

To reiterate, we found a zero-ongoing-effort entry method, typing and leaving " -> " in the source, and "upgrading it" to " → " with a formatter or other tool when desired. That's assuming you already have tools set up. I recommend them, but they would not be required obviously and neither would the upgraded character for compatibility reasons.

More importantly, does it help readability? I think it does, however not strongly. I'm perhaps +0.5 on a few of these characters. Word processors do upgrades to hyphens, for example, to make the resulting doc more readable. Is that kind of thing useful for Python?

-Mike