On 2020-05-21 05:48, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
Input _is_ hard or rare. Deal with it.
Even the font is not uniformily configured across systems, and  a glyph  one
does see here may not show properly on the terminal, or other

Maybe long ago. My terminals support even color emoji, have for years, and are all free.

The only thing I've seen recently that doesn't is the Linux console, which I use rarely for admin tasks. (Oddly enough, it does handle right arrow properly.) fbterm is an option there for those wanting more.

Even Windows 10 has gotten in on the act terminal-wise. If you're still on XP or 7, it's way past time to upgrade.

-Mike