On Thursday, May 21, 2020 9:20 AM Joao S. O. Bueno
[mailto:jsbu...@python.org.br] wrote
> On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 10:06, Thierry Parmentelat
> <thierry.parmente...@inria.fr> wrote:
> >

> > > On 21 May 2020, at 14:48, Joao S. O. Bueno <jsbu...@python.org.br> wrote:
> > >
> > >  (I had a coleague once which did
> > > set a special VIM config to display "!=" as
> > > "[can't type, math 'different' sign from here]"
> > > and even that was mostly a toy than anything
> > > really useful.
> >
> > I guess that is my point exactly: the main reason why this person has been
> > unable to make anything useful out of that otherwise
> perfectly sound idea is that it is not allowed in the language, so people
> need to mess with solutions on the outside sphere - editors,
> IDE’s, documentation post-processing - that essentially have no chance to be
> sustainable, and/as it causes extra burden for everybody
> >
> > We should allow code to be natively pretty, and not rely on other tools to
> > do the prettifying job - or not
> >
> And then, suppose you can "solve" this chicken and egg problem
> by allowing it on the language. Get 2 or 3 years for people to
> catch on the language version that accepts it (how much
> code out there using 1_000_000 numric spacing already?) -
> then, supposing tools evolve along with it, ok, maybe in 4 years I
> can fire-up a "visual studio code" with a setup that allows
> me to hold a modifier key and pops-up  a floating virtual
> keyboard with the unicode operators and type it almost
> seamlessly - how would that help me to type code snippets
> in e-mails or web-forms???

It wouldn't.  No matter how slick of a Unicode operator insertion setup you
have, it still is quicker and easier to type ->.  I fail to understand how
suggesting that all new python programmers use a slower, more complex entry
method can be perceived as more "user-friendly".  Especially since they have to
learn what -> means anyway.

Not only that, not all fonts support all Unicode characters.  There would need
to be a FAQ section in the docs on fonts that work with Python.

--Edwin