On Friday, May 22, 2020, at  8:28, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 09:43:33AM -0400, Dan Sommers wrote:
>
>> I had a customer who was old enough to
>> use upper case letter O for zero and lower case letter l for 1 because
>> she was old enough to have learned to type before typewriters had number
>> keys; that made a real mess of sorting street addresses.

> https://historythings.com/life-changing-invention-typewriters/

I can see 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 clearly.  I can't see a 1, although it
appears that the key between the 0 and the Q is missing its label.

> https://historythings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/9999006136-l.jpg
>
> The photo isn't clear enough to see the keys, but there are 44 of
> them. Since the Sholdes typewriter didn't have lowercase letters, it's
> hard to imagine what the remaining keys after the uppercase letters
> and punctuation marks were if they weren't digits.

The photo is not clear, but I can convince myself that the keys on the
top row start at 2 and run through 9 and 0.  Still no 1.

> And this 1903 Olympia typewriter clearly has digits:
>
> https://historythings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SAM_2381_clipped_rev_1.png

Still no 1.

> It is certainly true that many people of a certain age used to
> interchange 0 and O, and 1 and l, but I don't think it had anything to
> do with learning to type on typewriters without digits. What did they
> use when they needed the digits 2 through 9?

Okay, "before typewriters had number keys" is obviously wrong.  Those
pictures support "before typewriters had 1 keys."

--
“Atoms are not things.” – Werner Heisenberg
Dan Sommers, http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan