10.06.20 03:06, Guido van Rossum пише:
No, it's not April 1st. I am seriously proposing this (but I'll withdraw it if the response is a resounding "boo, hiss").

Well you have my "boo, hiss". I like programming languages which have such feature, but they have it from start, it is an integral part of programming culture for these languages, and Python is built on very different (and often opposite) design principles.

Who it will help? Will it help to translate old code from Python 2? Not at all, because of many differences in syntax. Will it help beginners? Not at all, it will make learning Python harder because of more complex rules and weird special cases. Will it help professional Python programmers? Not at all, they will need to learn new rules for uncommon syntax which they are not able to use for many years due to compatibility with older Python versions. Also it will add a headache when modify code (add parentheses for the first argument or reformatiing the code in multiple lines). Saving one key press is not worth it. Will it help programmers experienced in other programming languages? Not at all, because of multiple subtle differences between different languages. Looks it will make Python worse for everybody.

After all, we currently have a bunch of complexity in the parser just to give a
helpful error message to people used to Python 2's print statement:

And the proposed feature will be incompatible with this error message. So we will lost a helpful error message too.