Hello,

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 19:26:22 +1100
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> > > If all you're doing is exploring, why a PEP?
> >
> > Where's PEP? I informally once called my stuff "pseudo-PEP", to
> > emphasize that it aspires to cover a topic in-depth, like expected
> > from a PEP. But it's not fully written up to PEP standards, nor
> > intended to be it.
>
> My bad, you wrote it up in the same style and I assumed your intention
> was to go that route. Generalizing a bit: "Why a python-ideas
> proposal?"

But it was answered in the very the same mail that you reply to, below.

[]

> > Because all those things are "Pythons", and there should be
> > exchange of ideas and cross-pollination between implementations,
> > and what can be a better place for that, than a list called
> > "python-ideas"? (Short of it being renamed to "cpython-ideas").
>
> But you can make your own private research project without asking
> anyone else for information. Why try to synchronize with anyone else?

Not only I can make private research project, that's what I have been
doing for years. And many other people have been doing that. But the
worst part of that is that many of them never actually went out to share
the results and/or experience. It's really frustrating to think that
you may be duplicating somebody's steps from long ago, only because
they missed to post about, or were shy to do that because of the
expected feedback.

That's not right thing. And I can't see what can stop ideas exchange,
short of banning Python ideas on the python-ideas mailing list.

And in all fairness, what I posted isn't worse than other content
posted here, like "let's stuff more stuff into builtin namespace" or
"let's make list indexes silently wrap around behind your back".

> Why not just make your own thing and find out what constness can do
> for Python?

That's exactly what I have been doing. And I like what I see and I
would like to share with whoever may be interested, and get a second
opinion.

And I'm surprised that discussing such points are good topic for this
list, I thoughts that's the background of why this list exists.

If anything to learn form it, is that I posted too late. Because when
you post something simple and low-effort, there's usually enough people
wanting to contemplate and speculate what can be done about it. But
when you post something well worked out and detailed, there's that
surprised stare and question: "Why did you post that?".

> ChrisA

[]

--
Best regards,