On 2021-12-10 at 20:20:05 +0000,
deavid <deavidsed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of you are referring to scripting, learning, and other ways of
> using Python that would be badly impacted. I already acknowledged that
> these exist (or at least I didn't notice here any other that I wasn't
> aware), and that's why I mentioned that there should be a way to avoid
> type-enforcing for these scenarios. Maybe by flag, by Python version,
> file extension...  The method doesn't matter much at this moment.  If
> it were "easy" to continue writing the old programs without types,
> what's the problem in trying to make types more popular?

I concede that certain programmers believe that type declarations and
static type checking are unilaterally and universally beneficial, and
that's why I think that there should be a way to request type-enforcing
for these scenarios.  Maybe by flag, by Python version, file
extension...  The method doesn't matter, because in all my decades of
writing software, in a dozen or more languages, getting the types right
at coding time has never been an issue.

It's very easy to get type checking if you want it, what's the problem
in trying to make types more popular?

[insert your own perfect-joking-serious-balance emoticon (no emoji,
please!)  here]