On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 9:43 AM <2qdxy4rzwzuui...@potatochowder.com> wrote:

> On 2021-12-10 at 17:24:22 -0500,
> "Eric V. Smith" <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
>
> > [0]: Or arguments, I can never remember which is which: someone needs
> > to invent a memorable mnemonic device.
>
> Pass Arguments
> Accept Parameters
>
> (I don't know.  I just made that up.  For some reason, the fact that
> functions have "formal parameters" stuck with me (to me?) from
> somewhere, and then I can put the pieces together to figure out where
> the arguments must come from.  And you can't unsee it now; sorry.)

Formal parameters are the placeholders - the variable names that receive values.

Arguments or "actual parameters" are what got used when the function got called.

An optional parameter can have a default argument which is used when
there is no argument passed. In some languages, a parameter can be
optional without a default, in which case it won't have a value, but
in current Python, defaults and optionality always go together.

Whether 'self' counts as a parameter, and whether the object to the
left of the dot counts as an argument, depends on your point of view.
:)

ChrisA