As someone who has read the entirety of those thread and is not a core-dev
but having some experience with breaking and non-breaking changes at scale,
from my perspective:

1. This is a common syntax for an existing idea that is intuitive given
other existing syntax (comprehensions)
2. This would introduce a change that usage breaks backwards compatibility
with older interpreters, which means if a core open source project uses it,
their consumers will either need to update their interpreter to keep up to
date or risk a fork in one of their code bases to stay long-term maintained

I agree that point 2 should never be taken lightly, so realistically it may
need a PEP to justify its appearance, but I’ve also never seen a
syntactical addition to Python quite as idiom-shifting as pattern-matching
in 3.10, so it’s not like it’s never been done.

>From my viewpoint, the discussion did have a lot of adversarial tone which
I understood not as bike-shedding (contributing only to easily-understood
problems/suggestions), but similarly to the “symbols versus words” balance
in that shorter syntax isn’t necessarily more readable or easier to read
about and trying to keep the tenet that there should be preferably only one
way to express the concept (or at least preferentially fewer).  Also, I’m
sure that there is a lot of bike-shedding that can happen in such an open
forum (I mean, I’m doing it right now in a way) and that it can cause
reviewers to build callouses and may cause some good ideas to get
overlooked in favor of stability of interfaces.

However, I think the myriad of existing expression possibilities that were
suggested for this situation actually is an argument that if there is a
clearly more expressive and readable way of representing it, then it could
actually be an improvement that could help reduce unnecessary plurality.
Given it doesn’t diverge from extant pythonic patterns (e.g.
comprehensions), is intuitive to use and read (IMHO, given any code can be
made unintelligible) and that there are multiple instances in my own code
where it would have been the most readable way to express this idea, I’d be
for it, especially if it were simply being rolled into a minor version
already containing a syntactic addition.

Cheers,
Jeff