On 3/04/2010 2:11 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
Preston Landers<pland...@gmail.com>  wrote:

You can run unzip on the official exe installer to get a directory structure
that you can copy into your build.

I had no idea one could do that!  Thanks.

Yeah - that is all the standard installer does anyway :)

The pywin32_postinstall.py stuff is
separated out in the arhcive, and does need to be run to enable all
features.  Depending on what you're doing you might be able to skip all or
most of it.

Most of it looks skippable, as I'm installing a "hidden" python.

I'd be happy to have the post install script support a --private or similar option to do the right thing in these cases.

As far as the system DLLs, last time I checked they do have to
be in the system32 directory (or the wow64 version.)  But I could be wrong -
I didn't play with that very much. If it works without installing system
DLLs I'd be curious to know.

Me, too.  I'm guessing you need to do this, to be able to have things
like windows services find them.  But I'd sure like confirmation of that.
I'm planning to incorporate what's necessary in the post-install for my
package.

That's correct - stuff like services and COM requires the DLLs in system32 - however, you can probably see in the post-install script that if the user selects to install Python itself "just for me" then pywin32 doesn't try and copy to system32 etc - if Python itself doesn't have its DLL in system32, pywin32 can't work in those embedded contexts regardless of what it tries to do...

HTH,