P Witte wrote:

Tony Firshman writes:

Im trying to get rid of my Tiscali account as Tiscali are obviously not
interested in my custom. Ive tried a few other ISPs, but they have so far
not proved reliable or decent - apart from Freeserve, now Wanado.

You must have a different definition of decent than I do. About 60% of the spam I get arrives from WANADOO.fr hosted sites.

I did an analysis of 3,783 spam messages that were received over a month (March-April) this year; 2,022 were spamvertising WANADOO.fr hosted sites. There were, among this number, 141 unique sites (<something>.site.voila.fr) - a mean of 14.3 spam per site, or roughly one every other day spamvertising each of the sites. (Of the 3,007 that arrived in March 58%, or 1,475, were spamvertising WANADOO.fr hosted sites.)

After getting a message from Freeserve/Wanadoo that they were installing SPAM message markers, I emailed them back with my stats and suggested that they ought to scan for sites ending with ".voila.fr".

My program that collates my stats then began to notice a drop in the count for WANADOO.fr hosted sites. I thought my moan had been successful until I then found out why: the spammers had started to hide the url by using percent escapes ("...%2evoila%2efr", etc), and hiding the messages in encode64 messages - neither of which my program was written to handle. I've adjusted my program to handle percent escapes, but I think it is still missing a few; encode64'd messages are not being processed. When I get the chance/time, I may re-write the program to pass the email messages properly.