In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Have tried to break QStarter - configuring it for a small number of
executables +/-
small window and other win drives but without success.
Could there be a clash between the Easyptr extensions and some other
key words
in a toolkit or SBASIC to result in the EOF message?

Oh well ... it seems robust from your tests.

If I recall the EOF comes from reading beyond the expected input limit. So a key word clash shouldn't be involved.

Maybe there isn't a check on the limit ? Like ...

IF EOF THEN EXIT loop
CLOSE#Input_Channel_Number

There is an IF EOF(#chan) THEN EXIT... clause in the line just before the one where you experienced the error message, Malcolm.

Yes, I assumed there was such a check ... just speculating.

I remember getting the 'end of file' message in one of my programs, until I found where the error was occurring.

Just another simple thing ... are you using the 'zero' in the dimensioned array for the 'file_string' ?

DIM f$(100)

actually has 101 places reserved, as 0 to 100.

The directory pointer points at the two byte filename length counter in the directory, then GET reads the filename, which is a standard internal format string. What seems to be happening is that we are in a directory entry, GET fetches a length word, but fails to find that number of characters, which I thought was impossible.

Will you be at the AGM, Malcolm? I could run the sources on your machine there to test what's going wrong, failing that, I may need to rig up a test routine in SBASIC for you to run on your machine for me to get some figures back to see why it's different on your system, there may be some oddity such as a particular name length causing problems or recursion going wrong somewhere with particular nesting depths. It might be a simple programming error with local variables and global ones getting mixed up, although at this moment I can't find anything like that.

OK, best to the latter, as my machine is not 'portable' to shows; and I will not be attending the AGM.

Send me a SBASIC test routine with suitable break points to check progress. When you have time.

I feel sure it will turn out to be something minor that is throwing the error.

--
Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Duncan Neithercut
    • ... Dilwyn Jones
      • ... Duncan Neithercut
        • ... Malcolm Cadman
          • ... Duncan Neithercut
            • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... P Witte
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
    • ... Malcolm Cadman
      • ... Dilwyn Jones
        • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Darren Branagh