----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Mellor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] waiting for QPC print - meanwhile

> QPC print arrived today so I 'll see how it performs
>  managed to get output to the printer thanks to Per just in time to find
> the
> ink runs out.
> So as I was in Berwick today I thought I'd get a cartridge for the Epson
> (stylus 740) only to find it's not supported any more by Curries or Argos
> although I forgot about our branch of Red Shark, not sure about it as I
> think they went belly up.
> Anyway I came away with an HP printer from Argos for £19.99 ( spare black
> cartridge  at £14.99 ) has the world gone mad - yes I think so.
> got it set up and printing and guess what - yep archive trips up again,
> seems it is the USB port that it doesn't like as I had the Epson going
> connected to both USB and Par ( LPT1).

Actually Bill, I think you will find that this is one of the winprinters -
ie. the reason nothing comes out of it is not because of QPC2 or Archive,
but because you are sending ASCII text directly to the printer -
winprinters cannot handle that and expect Windows to do all the conversion
work for them (ie. letters to dots of ink).

This is why the printer is so cheap and why QPCPrint is needed !!

It is also one of the major headaches for people with original QLs,
Spectrums, non-windows based PCs and other industrial equipment which only
has a parallel port and expects the printer to understand plain text.  Oh
well, better start selling dot matrix printers again for that market !!
There are a few HP printers left and some others, such as Kyocera Laser
Printers (?) which can handle plain text, but try finding out which ones
they are!!

of course
I remember Jochen had a list of printers that would work with QL's
I did consider a printer for 39.99 that was Mac compatible but settled for
the cheapie, my brain gets fuddled a bit when xmas shopping
ah well about to install QPC print

All the best - Bill