Re:
> Let me know Bill if you would like me to e-mail that page to you - it's
> quite short.
 Yes please John if it's no trouble

 So, here we go Bill.............

Stephen Morris' 1986
"Archive User's Reference Manual" p141 with -

COMMANDS FOR PRINTING   -  [OCRd and p.read!]

Command -
=========
Spoolon
"(filename)"
"(filename)" export
================
Effect -
Opens a list file to receive all printer output.
===================================
How to Use -
Before entering a printing command (such as Dump or Lprint) enter the
Spoolon command, followed by a suitable filename. The program assumes that
the file is to be contained on the current data drive and attaches a default
.LIS extension if no other is given.
>From this point on, anything that would otherwise have gone to the printer
is instead stored in the list file, in a form suitable for later printing.
This file can include entire data files, printed with the Dump command, or
individual items, printed with Lprint. It may also include a program listing
(see the Lust command in Chapter 16).
If the printouts are to be incorporated in a Quill document, rather than
being directly printed, then you should add the Export parameter to the end
of the command: this option is covered in more detail in Chapter 20.
Once the file is complete it must be closed with the Spooloff command
described below.

Comments -
=========
Only one list file can be open at a time.
The list file has a special format which cannot be used for other purposes.
You cannot read the contents of the list file back into memory. It can only
be used for background printing, or if the Export parameter has been added,
for import to Quill.
Background printing is achieved with the Xchange Output command (see below).

Command -
=======
Spooloff
=======
Effect -
Closes any open list file
=====
How to use -
When you have finished directing printer out put to the list file, enter
this command and the file will be closed.

Relearning QL - you and me both.  Best wishes Bill; John in Wales