On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 23:02 +0100, Peter Graf wrote:
> I don't think Richard gave up UQLX. Some other QL wheels also need to be
> turned, so there may be different priorities. Usually, if you email him,
> he sends you more recent code.
Then why is the old, uncompilable version still on his website, a site
which hasn't been updated since 2002?

This ties in with the problem that other people raised last night about
the availability of documentation. There is too much work which has been
done but which is inaccessible for others to build on.

One of the many reasons I have for preferring SuperBasic to XBasic is
the availability of dbas. But this is another project which got
abandoned. I may be out of date, but the last time I looked the version
supplied with the commercial front end for it (can't remember the name)
was older than the one I'm using (2.13). Quanta had a copy of the
commented source code, not for inclusion in the library (why?), but they
lost it ...

I even bought a Q60 to stay in the QL world (a step further than most of
those reading this rant!), but my experiences (recounted in QL Today)
were hardly encouraging. Bad documentation and lack of help. For
example, my query about how to run Text87 on it was circulated on the
internet and in Quanta, yet it took two years to find the answer: by
accident. By that time, I'd naturally switched to OpenOffice.

I liked the QL and its operating system (rather Unix-like in a way), but
I fear the QL community are their own worse enemies.