The email from Nasta was dated December 2006.

The etherIDE would be a good project - the main problem would most
definitely be the lack of a TCP/IP stack and drivers.
Alas Peter Graf knows how to implement this, but cannot see eye to eye on
the SMSQ/e licence - perhaps it is a language problem, as I do not see
what the actual problem is with the need to include open source code in
the operating system.

The only charges now made for smsq/e are equivalent in many ways to the
charges made for copies of Linux and limitations on the distribution of
that, yet I do not see arguments over the various Linux distributions
available.

Maybe something on the free GPL licence that is stopping Peter from
thinking he can distribute his work is beyond me. After all, Red Hat Linux
is not free, does not come complete with sources and tools to let you
compile it, yet people are happy to write free software under the GPL
licence for it and new items, which can be incorporated into Red Hat.  Yes
I understand that the distributors charge for support - but come on, does
the end user see any real difference between paying £x00 for Red Hat
Linux, and paying £x0 for smsq/e?  Both have readily available sources
which can be downloaded and compiled, IF you have the right tools.

Oh well, we have all been down this path before and it is a dead end that
leads to arguments over the differences in the licence and whether someone
can work under one licence or another.  Peter wants a free o/s - is there
actually anything to stop him from taking the existing sources of smsq/e,
repackaging them, rewriting them and selling them or giving them away as
compiled binaries called Graf/e ?  Not that I see, just so long as he does
not want them to be part of the official smsq/e package.

Oh well best take cover before I upset the whole community all over
again.  I do not understand all the arguments and don't have time or the
inclination to research the problem / solution especially as it is not
going to help my position as a trader.

Rich

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:38:47 -0000, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> Ah -  I do have an email here from Nasta about the Ultra Gold Card
>> project:
>

> It is a pity that these projects especially GoldFire have stalled. When
> exactly did you have the email from Nasta. Is his present situation the
> same? Is
> there anything this list can do. I could help with a business case but
> know
> nothing about programming hardware.
> He seems to indicate that the "EtherIDE. It incorporates some of the
> features of the Qubide II as well as  the ethernet network hardware
> from  the GF" is
> almost there but only needs funds for the PCB. If this is the case I  am
> willing to help write the business case a suggested by the Quanta
> Treasurer.
> Duncan

Rich Mellor
RWAP Services