Rich Mellor wrote:
> The email from Nasta was dated December 2006.
>
> The etherIDE would be a good project - the main problem would most
> definitely be the lack of a TCP/IP stack and drivers.
> Alas Peter Graf knows how to implement this, but cannot see eye to eye on
> the SMSQ/e licence - perhaps it is a language problem, as I do not see
> what the actual problem is with the need to include open source code in
> the operating system.

I think the problem here is that no one can build or use SMSQ  without
actually buying a license to do so. Yes the source is available to
download but unless you're already running SMSQ it's not actually
possible to compile it.

Thanks to people on this list I'm now in possession of  all I need to
build SMSQ, I decided to have a go while I was at work. I then realised
that I didn't have a copy of SMSQ available to me there (I do at home)
and therefore because the source relies on the DEV device being
available (which as far as I can see is only available in SMSQ itself) I
once again hit a brick wall.

Open  source software generally is useable on open source software
without any commercial pre requisites.
> The only charges now made for smsq/e are equivalent in many ways to the
> charges made for copies of Linux and limitations on the distribution of
> that, yet I do not see arguments over the various Linux distributions
> available.

The difference here is that there are also binary copies of virtually
all linux distributions available for free download.
> Maybe something on the free GPL licence that is stopping Peter from
> thinking he can distribute his work is beyond me. After all, Red Hat Linux
> is not free, does not come complete with sources and tools to let you
> compile it, yet people are happy to write free software under the GPL
> licence for it and new items, which can be incorporated into Red Hat.  Yes
> I understand that the distributors charge for support - but come on, does
> the end user see any real difference between paying £x00 for Red Hat
> Linux, and paying £x0 for smsq/e?  Both have readily available sources
> which can be downloaded and compiled, IF you have the right tools.

Yes, there is a charge for Redhat (but only the Enterprise version these
days) but that mostly covers a 24x7 support arrangement. The source is
available for all Redhat packages - it's in fact included in the
distribution.

Yes, there is a huge difference between SMSQ and Linux, as I've
discovered I can't compile the sources for SMSQ without spending money
on a semi commercial assembler. If I wanted to I could download a new
kernel for my linux machine at any time, compile it with a freely
available copy of GCC - compiled by myself from source - and then
install that kernel on any machine I wanted to - completely legally and
without restriction.
I think the major difference is that software for Linux can be developed
and compiled on any distribuition of Linux, it is then compatible with
all distros assuming GCC versions are comparable.

Incidentally, Redhat does come with GCC and all the tools necessary to
completely recompile every single piece of software that's included in
the binary distribution.

I'm not sure that there is a direct conflict between the SMSQ license
and GPL, except for the fact that the GPL does include the provision for
binary distributions as long as source is included.

Whether there is anything stopping someone from branching the SMSQ
source  I don't know - the way I read the license is that unless you are
an official distributor you are not allowed to distribute binaries, and
the published license (in the latest source tree I downloaded a couple
of days ago) still states that a fee must be paid to Tony Tebby for
every binary given to a new customer. I know that it's been said on this
list that this is not now the case but it's still in the license.

I am an open  source developer with software published under GPL
(http://www.remosync.org for anyone that's interested)  - the GPL gives
people a huge advantage in that anyone can use a piece of code that's
published  under GPL in their own projects as long as the resulting
software is also released under  GPL. My own code includes some modified
checksum routines that I probably would never have been able to write on
my own - these came from the cksum command freely available as source
under GPL.

I myself would like to see a completely open source, freely compilable
operating system for the QL - but I honestly don't see it happening.

I'm  sure after some of my recent emails  that  a lot of you are
thinking I'm just after everything for nothing - this isn't the case. I
have QL hardware that I've had for ages and  I'd like to contribute to
the continuation of a wonderful machine. Every which way I turn though
someone wants money from me that I haven't got at the moment.

I know I've mentioned it before but take a look at the Spectrum
community,  there is new software available for the spectrum and people
are selling it - usually for about £2.99. I know that the QL is a
different beast and that programming for it is massively more
complicated but can we really justify selling software for such elevated
prices as is currently the case?

Most of the traders have admitted that they aren't going to make any
money from the QL anymore, anyone developing software for it would be
mad to think they are going to make a profit in such a small market. I
can understand the idea of supporting traders that have supported us
users over the years but I really think it's time to face facts, the QL
is very much a minority machine  and  charging high prices for software
is just going to make it more inaccessible than it already is.

I actually wonder whether my idea  of attempting to port  SMSQ to the
Amiga is even going to be worthwile. I can't distribute a binary, which
means that I'd only be able to distribute source - which without
creating a completely seperate branch I couldn't  do because it's only
possible to actually compile it with an assembler  that's  only
available for the QL  and then only if you buy it. Fortunately I'll
still attempt it because I want to know if it's possible - even though
it'll take a huge amount of work and I know I'm effectively doing it for
nothing. In essence that is the point of open source software - working
for the good of others  without personal gain  - and that's something
that the QL community as a whole needs to embrace. If we don't  then the
QL will disappear completely.

I'll get off my high horse now! Once again apologies for the long email
- I'm sure you're all getting sick of me by now but I hope that at least
some good will come from my rantings!

Phil