It isn't very often that Quanta agrees with Geoff Wicks but the definitions
in my Dictionary for the word "punter" includes the following:

 'a person who gambles or lays a bet; a customer or client, a member of an
audience; a participant in any activity'     none of which are in any way
derogatory. I can also offer the following words as having similar meaning:

'better, gamester, player, spectator, customer, buyer, shopper, client,
patron, chap, person, individual, man (or woman) in the street. (Colloq -
guy, Slang - geezer, bloke)'

I would agree, Geoff that punter would describe the attendees of the event
this weekend quite well.. (I admit that there may be other meanings of the
word which have  less polite meanings but if each word had to be analyzed
before we used it in case we caused offence, we would probably stop speaking
completely!!) - Its probably "Just Words"

Great workshop and nice to see so many "people" there. See you all at the
next one?

Regards,

John Gilpin.