Hi Dave,

Dave Walker wrote:

> Modern machines have hyperthreaded CPU cores, so you are more likely
> to load multiple applications and still get decent performance if
>  you have lots of memory available.

A good theory, in practice it is let down by either the design of the
Core Duo chip or the OS not utilising things properly - I'm not sure which.

In a Core Duo, all accesses to the Input Output sub-systems *must* be
done by the first core and only by the first core. I read this about a
month ago in one of the mainstream computer comics - can't remember
which one now that I need to.

Apparently, core 1 says to core 0, stop that and service this I/O
request for me, so core 0 has to comply, so anything running on the
first core is interrupted while it passes on I/O requests for the second
core, and the second core is delayed in processing I/O while it hangs
around waiting for the first core to pay attention!

An interesting design I thought when I read it.

Cheers,
Norman.