In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Geoff Wicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dilwyn Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "QL-Users list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] The forgotten half

I'm so glad this has all ended in good humour, after the rather less than
nice words which appeared here.

Good job we can have the odd rattle fly out of the pram and still all remain
friends :-))

One of the problems in the QL community is that all too often we think in black and white. This means we avoid problems and then when there is a difference of opinion it gets completely out of hand.

Differences of opinion are healthy. I know many people don't like my attitude to Quanta but they often behave in ways that damage Quanta. Jeering like schoolboy bullies as happened two years ago or "poison pen" emails do no credit to Quanta. What I miss is good controversial debate.

When you eventually get your QL Today, in what inevitably is a difficult issue for Quanta, you will find at the end of an article I have written:

"Logically as trading diminishes Quanta will become increasingly important for the survival of the UK scene."

We need a vigorous debate on how to achieve this,

Best wishes,

Geoff

OK.

To kick the debate off ... how many people are regularly attending at Quanta Group local meetings ?

I organise the London Group meetings, for example, and the attendance now is only a small handful, when it could still be ( even now ) a reasonable number.

If the "grassroots" are not being supported, then the main plant will also suffer.

So, do you attend at local meetings ... ? Even if only occasionally, then it would make a difference.

I also store a lot of second user items - see my new "Retro Computing" web page - which makes these items available to people as the Traders are less present on the QL scene now.

Commercial items, and new items, should still be provided via Traders.

--
Malcolm Cadman