In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Geoff Wicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Hi Geoff,

That is all very reasonable ... :-)

Obviously I want Quanta to exist as a central organisation, and to continue to exist. In fact we are very lucky that such an organisation was set up in first place, and continues to exist to this day.

If you compare this to many other Computers of the vintage of the QL, then we are doing well to have such an organisation.

Whilst updating my QL & Quanta Group web page, I noticed that the link that I had to Sub Groups on the Quanta web site was broken - which I have now corrected. Yet no information was sent out about any changes that had been made to the web site.

I also noticed that there is still an appeal on the Quanta web site to Sub Groups to organise a Workshop in the South of England for this Year.

We, at the London Group have not been able to respond to this, due to our circumstances this Year. The other likely offer, from Roy Wood, at Hove, is also unlikely owing to his personal commitments.

However, the London group do hope that we will be able to consider holding a Workshop in 2009.

Yet, again, this is where the grassroots support is important.

People have to turn out to show interest and support.

The London Group have to charge a subscription, because we have to pay for the Hall hire charged. This is only £30 a year, or £1.30 a meeting ( with 10 meetings in a Year ).

Yet, now, we have 4 or 5 members attending; so we are not reaching more that a half of the annual cost.

( Note : To myself, I must apply to Quanta, again, for an Annual Subsidy ).

We don't mind at all if someone attends just for the odd meeting or two, during a Year. We are not even worried about a donation to our costs - yet people who do attend in this way always offer a donation. It is a part of the QL ethos ... :-)

We do get a benefit that we are allowed to store all of our equipment at the Venue, and that I am trusted to have my own set of keys to access and to lock up afterwards.

I am pleased that the Manchester Group has a much larger attendance base. Well done to them !

I think that you are right to highlight the "black box" users. How to reach them is a problem. I met a few who have been giving up their QL equipment - often "stored in the attic" - as a donation to the London Group.

Often the remaining "black box" users do not have access to the internet, either. So, any easy contact route is closed off.

Please discuss further ..... :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Malcolm Cadman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>