En/Je/On 2012-02-23 10:40, Stephen Usher escribió / skribis / wrote :

> need for a modern equivalent to the old home computer systems and
> the BASIC language which came on them.

I miss such a tool too. I agree it would be very helpful on home computing,
computing learning and professional fronts.

This makes me remember an article I mentioned here some time ago:

http://www.osnews.com/story/23464/Why_Johnny_Can_t_Code
http://www.salon.com/technology/feature/2006/09/14/basic/

> To this end, I see SuperBASIC as a very good starting point, which
> needs to be extended with modern data structures such as compound
> variables and proper variable scoping.

Right, but writing a new language is a huge task. Another approach could be to
adapt an existant multiplatform BASIC such as FreeBASIC
(htt://www.freebasic.net). It's a compiler, so a layer of macros and
preprocessor commands could do the task to some extent. But of course a
compiler would make things more complicated for the final user.

Marcos

--
http://programandala.net