Phoebus Dokos wrote:
> Tarquin Mills wrote:
> > I now have serious things to worry about,I have a Compact Flash IDE
> > adapter with ATA-100 ribbon cable and 512MB flash card. The first time I
> > formated it, format said 32MB in sectors. 'Dir'ing the flash found all
> > but 137K of 488MB available. When files were saved on to it they
> > disappeared after a reset, to be replaced by nonsense name (same number)
> > and size files saying "not found", the flash name and size stayed the
> > same .I thought that may I could use MKpart to set the correct 512MB
> > size, but accidentally I formated to a to big a size. Now all I get is
> > bad medium errors from 'format' and 'MKpart'. What do I do, thanks in
> > advance.
> > PS 'recol' crashes the Q60.
> Tarquin,
>
> DO NOT USE a ATA-100 cable. Also make sure that your IDE > CF cable is
> short and/or that the CF cable is at least in the middle of the cable
> instead of at the end.
> The ATA=100 cable is moot anyway as there's no ATA-100 controller for the
> Qx0 computers.. Shortening the cable length and a regular IDE cable will
> almost certainly solve all your problems.
I was originally using a normal IDE cable that comes with the Q60, in both
cases it has failed with me using the central connector. When I first
moved to the central connector on the normal cable, it worked after a
reset, then I plugged in the HD LED and it stopped working (with the LED
in or out). The lenght of the cable is 16cm to the central connector and
21.5cm to the end connector. Would plugging in my CD-ROM and there by
terminating the end help. I have two troubles, the corrupt C/H/S sector
and how I can make the cable any shorter and still have a CD-ROM on it.
Also a shorter cable would mean having the CFI over the motherboard in the
MinisQ60, which might cause height problems. As it is a MinisQ60 I
cannot put in another ISA I/O for the CD-ROM.
--
                        Tarquin Mills

RUNG (RISC OS Users, Norfolk Group)