On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:34:59 +0100, Tarquin Mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
I was originally using a normal IDE cable that comes with the Q60, in both
cases it has failed with me using the central connector. When I first
moved to the central connector on the normal cable, it worked after a reset, then I plugged in the HD LED and it stopped working (with the LED in or out). The lenght of the cable is 16cm to the central connector and 21.5cm to the end connector. Would plugging in my CD-ROM and there by terminating the end help. I have two troubles, the corrupt C/H/S sector and how I can make the cable any shorter and still have a CD-ROM on it. Also a shorter cable would mean having the CFI over the motherboard in the MinisQ60, which might cause height problems. As it is a MinisQ60 I cannot put in another ISA I/O for the CD-ROM.

Plugged in the HDD Led where? Just so we're clear, my CF adapters (assuming you're using one of mine from Darren) do not have HDD led pins on them.

As for plugging the CD ROM on. I have found that in some case plugging a second device (CD ROM or HDD) at the end of the cable, solves many problems. Sure as heck you can't hurt anything (since you don't have data on your card anyway). Also look if the CF adapter has any pins bent. Please also tell me which kind of CF adapter you have. The half length Hot- Removable or the full length standard.

Finally, remember that you have to have the CF plugged in BEFORE you power on.

An additional thing you may want to consider is to try to use Atari-Fdisk from Q40 Linux.
All you need to do is get the following files: lxx (executable), vmlinux and ramimg.gz. If you don't have a Q40 Linux CD I'd be happy to send them over.

You don't have to have a drive to use them as you can start it from a Ramdisk. you have to use:

ex ram1_lxx;'-m 32 -k ram1_vmlinux -r ram1_ramimg.gz -- root=/dev/ram"

replace the "32" with the amount of memory you have on your system.

Finally before anything else, check if your memory is recognized from the Q60 (I had problems with that) and unplug any network adapter if you have one (had trouble with that too).

Regards,

Phoebus

--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)