On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 01:04:51AM +0000, Paul Gregg wrote:
# In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
# >>> Since I started this thread I can tell you without question what it's about
# >>> and [EMAIL PROTECTED] isn't any part of it.  I want to reject mail being
# >>> sent to certain valid usernames, such as my database. I'd also like to bounce
# >>> some mail to nonvalid usernames without accepting and bouncing afterward since
# >>> they only double bounce anyway.
#
# >>To do this, then it requires qmail-smtpd to know everything that qmail-send
# >>does.  It requires a major rethink and rewriting of the qmail system.
#
# > Interesting theory, but hard to believe.  All I want is a place to put
# > a list of addresses that won't be accepted as RCPT TO arguments even
# > if the domain is otherwise acceptable.  Note that there's no new
# > linkage here to anything other than perhaps a file in which the names
# > are listed.
#
# There was two issues above. 1) reject mail being sent to valid usernames
# and 2) bounce mail sent to non-valid usernames without accepting the message.
#
# As you note, 1) Is "easy" to patch in.  2) Is non-trivial.
#
# >>If you are in control of the local delivery then you already can control
# >>who sends mail to your database.  Why can't you use procmail?
#
# > As has been noted many times, rejecting mail at the SMTP level saves
# > processing and makes it more likely that the sender will notice that it
# > was rejected.
#
# True, but since when has processing be a major issue in a qmail box?
# And if the sender is a valid user then qmail will make sure he gets an
# error message.
#
# > I'll dig up the patch that does this and try it out.  Given that the
# > badmailfrom code already exists, it shouldn't be very big.
#
# Yes, but this is only going to resolve "1" above.  I noted to the thread poster
# that he can use procmail to ensure that only his system can email his
# database; and Mark pointed out that he can leave the domain out of
# rcpthosts which will prevent qmail-smtpd from accepting it from
# remote sites. If the domain is his normal one, then it shouldn't be hard to
# use Mark's method and make up a dummy domain for which a .qmail-default
# can relay the email through to his database.
#
# Why does anyone need a control file for "badmailto" ?  Think about it.  You
# don't need one.  Why would you want to list valid users email addresses in
# a "badmailto" file? (listing non-valid addresses isn't going to do much,
# except saving qmail from having to generate a no such user bounce).
#

and saving on double bounces
when you have addresses you generated for posting to newsgroups for certain
time periods so that SPAM would be bounced is fine and dandy, until after
those addresses are invalid, and the return addresses supplied by spammers
are invalid as well.

The point here is to eliminate this and to make the spammers/sender notice
that the message was undeliverable, BEFORE Qmail accepts it, so it doesnt
have to deal with it in the first place.

Just as badmailfrom rejects messages before a messages is accepted, badrcptto
or something like that should also do the same.

--
/- [EMAIL PROTECTED] --------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -\
|Justin Bell  NIC:JB3084| Time and rules are changing.         |