In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
>>> Since I started this thread I can tell you without question what it's about
>>> and [EMAIL PROTECTED] isn't any part of it.  I want to reject mail being
>>> sent to certain valid usernames, such as my database. I'd also like to bounce
>>> some mail to nonvalid usernames without accepting and bouncing afterward since
>>> they only double bounce anyway.

>>To do this, then it requires qmail-smtpd to know everything that qmail-send
>>does.  It requires a major rethink and rewriting of the qmail system.

> Interesting theory, but hard to believe.  All I want is a place to put
> a list of addresses that won't be accepted as RCPT TO arguments even
> if the domain is otherwise acceptable.  Note that there's no new
> linkage here to anything other than perhaps a file in which the names
> are listed.

There was two issues above. 1) reject mail being sent to valid usernames
and 2) bounce mail sent to non-valid usernames without accepting the message.

As you note, 1) Is "easy" to patch in.  2) Is non-trivial.

>>If you are in control of the local delivery then you already can control
>>who sends mail to your database.  Why can't you use procmail?

> As has been noted many times, rejecting mail at the SMTP level saves
> processing and makes it more likely that the sender will notice that it
> was rejected.

True, but since when has processing be a major issue in a qmail box?
And if the sender is a valid user then qmail will make sure he gets an
error message.

> I'll dig up the patch that does this and try it out.  Given that the
> badmailfrom code already exists, it shouldn't be very big.

Yes, but this is only going to resolve "1" above.  I noted to the thread poster
that he can use procmail to ensure that only his system can email his
database; and Mark pointed out that he can leave the domain out of
rcpthosts which will prevent qmail-smtpd from accepting it from
remote sites. If the domain is his normal one, then it shouldn't be hard to
use Mark's method and make up a dummy domain for which a .qmail-default
can relay the email through to his database.

Why does anyone need a control file for "badmailto" ?  Think about it.  You
don't need one.  Why would you want to list valid users email addresses in
a "badmailto" file? (listing non-valid addresses isn't going to do much,
except saving qmail from having to generate a no such user bounce).

Paul.
--
Email pgregg at tibus.net | Email pgregg at nyx.net    | Eight out of every
Technical Director        | System Administrator       | five people are math