Russell Nelson writes:

>  > Perhaps XEmacs understands the Qmail bounce format, but other MUAs don't.
>  > I don't think the MUAs' authors will consider as a defect their software's
>  > inability to parse a bounce format that's specific to Qmail only.
>
> Of course it's a defect, because *every* MTA has its own peculiar
> bounce format.

No, not every.  There has to be at least a dozen MTAs that generate MIME
DSN bounces.

I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet that any MTAs that will be written in
the future are far more likely to be written to generate MIME DSN bounces
as opposed to Qmail-style bounces.

An RFC 1894-aware mail client will be capable of handling bounces from any
one of those MTAs.

>                There is no standard for bounce messages -- not one

Yes there is: RFC 1894.