On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Petr Novotny wrote:

> On 15 Sep 99, at 11:21, Robin Bowes wrote:
> > > But some important parts are really missing. What's the licence for
> > > daemontools? For rblsmtpd? For qmail-analog? Am I allowed to start my
> > > syslogd or rc5des client under supervise if I haven't installed qmail?
> >
> > These aren't anything to do with qmail.  They're all seperate programs by
> > the author of qmail.  They have seperate (and different) licensing.
>
> My installation of qmail would be certainly crippled without
> tcpserver, supervise and rblsmtpd. Since I don't have licence to
> those programs, it's possible that I'm breaking the law by using
> qmail in the "documented and supported" way.
>
> It's nice that you know the licence for qmail-1.03.tar.gz - but this
> package per se is somewhat unuseful. What's the licence for
> tcpserver?
>
> While I am not afraid to be awoken at three in the morning by the
> software police, my lawyer might ask me some questions if I
> started my business selling e-mail service with qmail.

I don't know that Dan's actually come up with licensing terms for the
remaining items.  I know that he knows that I'm using tcpserver for more
than just qmail-smtpd.  We've discussed it at length.  I'm using it for
backups between systems, I've got LabVIEW systems talking to unix systems
with it, data logging, qpopper, imapd, and even for encrypted credit card
data with a java app.  Probably more things that haven't come to mind yet!
It's also about to replace inetd's remaining stuff here - it seems the
problem I had with telnetd is contained to the HP machine and it was just
retired.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2