> Not really... qmail out of the box doesn't support inetd. There are
> configuration changes you have to make *on your own* to get it to
> work, and
> the web site doesn't support or explain these changes. (I'm sure that if
> you wanted to support inetd stuff on this list, no-one else here
> would have
> a problem; and would probably even welcome that help, but I speak only for
> me.)

(from INSTALL in qmail-1.03 source distribution)
16. Set up qmail-smtpd in /etc/inetd.conf (all in one line):
                smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
                tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

17. Reboot. (Or kill -HUP your inetd and mke sure the qmail daemons
    are running.)

There you have it...  "make setup check" doesn't add/change that line in
inetd.conf for you, but other than that it looks pretty "out of the box" to
me.  Then, to read that in conjunction with the statement on the web site IS
confusing and misleading.

Now, if this configuration isn't supported, the instructions in the
distribution need to be changed.  Or something needs to change, like maybe
including tcpserver as part of the qmail distribution, if that is the
supported method.  Or is there a supported method?