Thus said Dave Sill on Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:32:55 EST:

> >Hmm, well if it puts messages in there then it looks as if I have lost a
> >lot of messages.  Each file is 0 bytes in length and there are about 10000
> >of them.  Probably no way I can recover these...  There were messages in
> >/var/log/mail about qmail-queue not being able to write them.  I wonder if
> >it was unable to write them to queue/pid as well.  At any rate, the problem
> >was that the "trigger" pipe was not there.  After I recreated that with
> >mkfifo all seemed to return to normal.  So, what is the purpose of the
> >named pipe?
>
> I don't think that a missing trigger would cause your problems.
> qmail-queue uses trigger to tell qmail-send that there's a new message
> in the queue. If trigger is fubared, qmail-send doesn't see new
> messages until it makes it's regular 20-minute rounds.
I see, so even if trigger isn't there it will check the queue and send out
the mail therein.  Which doesn't help if nothing is in the queue.

> Did you run qmail-lint, "make check", both, or neither?
This is on a machine at work and so I haven't had the chance to check it
yet.  I do know that all the files in queue/pid are 0 byte files though.
Does this matter or are they simply a tracking mechanism?
Andy
--
        +====== Andy ====== TiK: garbaglio ======+
        |    Linux is about freedom of choice    |