On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Dave Sill wrote:

> Pavel Kankovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> >
> >> To start with, you have to do a HUGE number of extra DNS
> >> lookups to determine what the recipient systems ARE.
> >
> >As opposed to the "one SMTP transaction per remote recipient" strategy
> >that is able to deliver messages without the need to figure out what the
> >recipient systems are? Intriguing. :)
>
> Say you send a message to a list of 10,000 addresses using
> sendmail. What's the first thing it does? It looks up the MX for each
> recipient so it can sort by MX and minimize the number of connections.

Indeed. But are there any EXTRA lookups done? ("Extra" is the keyword
here...read original DDB's text again.)

The answer is: NO unless the implementation is incredibly stupid.

> I think Postfix just sorts by FQDN, so it doesn't have to do 10,000
> DNS lookups before it starts delivering. But by doing that, it
> potentially misses a lot of combining for different FQDN's with the
> same MX.

"A lot" being a speculation or based on real-world data? <evil grin>

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."