John W. Lemons III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 04 Apr 2000:
> Another detail that may help...  When the connection appears hung,
> netstat -r
> hangs before it reports the default route.  I can't even kill it.  Is the
> routing table getting hosed?  If so, how?

Usually when "netstat -r" appears to hang, it's because it is trying to
do a DNS (hostname) lookup for the entries it will display, but the DNS
service is not responding properly.  Althought a ctrl-C should make it
stop if that's the problem.

It's easy to test if that is the problem thought: try using netstat -rn
instead of netstat -r.  The extra n tells netstat not to do any name
lookups.  If netstat -rn prints stuff but netstat -r doesn't, then you
have a DNS problem.

Note that the DNS problem might be a symptom, not a cause...  If your
net connection is not working and your configured DNS server is beyond
that non-working connection, DNS lookups will of course appear to block
(until timeout) and then fail.

Regards,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /