>> Argh. Get that misconception *out your head*.
>>
>> People who disallow ORBS to scan them get listed as *untestable*,
>> not as *open relays*. ORBS doesn't block.
>
> Are these records in relays.orbs.org?
> How can you say that ORBS doesn't block them, then?
> Oh, I see, ORBS made up their own semantics for the DNS zone entries.
> Semantics which nobody else uses.

There isn't any "default" semantics for how to set up these DNS zones,
just using rblsmtpd with relays.orbs.org will block any potential
Open Relay and list the reason why it was blocked in the bounce message.
(if the sending MTA doesn't cut it out or try translation)
You may at anytime choose your own method of checking the DNS information,
create your own scripts or programs or whatever you want/need.

> That's very nice, but what about the people blocking using relays.orbs.org?

Thats up to them if they choose to "trust" those who block ORBS,
they can use output.orbs.org if thats what they want.
While others might be paranoid and block them for trying to hide.

No matter what reason, ORBS can not be blamed for individual chosing.
These mail-administrators may very well have valid conserns about
the problems that Open Relay can cause them and their networks.

> Who told them that they would find DNS entries
> belonging to hosts which had never spammed?
> This is other than what people were led to expect.
> It's Yet Another reason why ORBS is not to be trusted.

ORBS policies and handling here is quite clear and documented,
it suprices me that so many who disagree with what Alan does
can't get their facts straight about this!

Never has the policies of ORBS have ANYTHING directly to do with SPAM,
it is an validated Open Relay database which for obvious reason also
contains those who deny/decive ORBS testing by blocking it.

If YOU don't trust someone for your lack of knowledge that's one thing,
it's another thing when you tell people publicly ORBS can not be
trusted for this and that based on this lack of knowledge.

Regards André Paulsberg