-dsr- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 06:04:01PM +1000, Brett Randall wrote:
> > HI one and all...
> >

> OK. Every user gets the same .qmail:
>
> |cityforward
>
> Then you write cityforward, which does the following:
>
> 1. checks the current directory
> 2. looks up the correct mailserver for the /city/ portion of the pwd.
> 3. forwards the mail to that server
>
> How's that?

OK...a small diagram is in order

                       /~~~~~~~\
                       | I'NET |
                       \~~~~~~~/
                           |  SMTP/POP
                       /-------\
                       |MailSvr|
                       \-------/
                          /\
                SMTP/POP /  \ SMTP/POP
                        /    \
                       /      \
           /-----------\      /-------------\
           |CityMailSvr|      |LondonMailSvr|
           | /nfs/city |      | /nfs/london |
           \-----------/      \-------------/

OK As you can see, /nfs/city on the City Mail server is mounted as
/nfs/city on the Main mail server, and ditto with /nfs/london. This
means that whatever the main server can see is in the home dir for
each user, is the home dir on both servers. Any .qmail file there is
is used from whichever server. This means that your suggestion would
create a loop, since at each of our subsidiary servers (city, london),
mail to @hillsong.com is attempted to be delivered locally, and if it
can't be then it is relayed through our main server instead to find
where the user actually exists (only the main server contains a
complete database of ALL users). If the city machine were to receive,
forwarded from a .qmail file, an e-mail addressed to the same user, it
would look for a .qmail file in their home dir to see where to deliver
it, and it will be forwarded again, causing a loop.

I have a suspicion that maybe I can use the users/assign mechanism
somehow to forward mail instead of .qmail files - any takers on this
one?

Thanks.
--
/BR