Recently, after running qmail for 3 years on our
primary mail server, we found ourselves listed on orbs.
It seems we were acting as an open relay and that
many mailers were simply bouncing mail from our
domain.

I made a check of the server and all was well but
when I checked it from the facility at
abuse.net I found it was reporting an open relay.

The problem it seems stems from qmails handling of
one of the tests has qmail accepting the mail and
dealing with it internally, so that probably ever
qmail server will eventually end up listed on orbs,
with an incorrectly assumed open relay.

But we needed action quickly as users were complaining
so we had to switch our primary server to sendmail, to
avoid any confusion.

Now, if Orbs are incorrectly listing services perhaps
we here need to follow up with our legal people.

Kind regards

Kevin Waterson