[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 20-Oct-2000 Kevin Waterson wrote:
> >
> > I made a check of the server and all was well but
> > when I checked it from the facility at
> > abuse.net I found it was reporting an open relay.
> >
> > The problem it seems stems from qmails handling of
> > one of the tests has qmail accepting the mail and
> > dealing with it internally, so that probably ever
> > qmail server will eventually end up listed on orbs,
> > with an incorrectly assumed open relay.
>
> ORBS doesn't use the abuse.net tests to determine who is
> an open relay.
To quote from the ORBS site
Try Abuse.Net's new relay tester (requires registration). This is the
only web-based tester which carries out the same set of tests which ORBS
does.

>Typically, ORBS requires the delivery of a
> piece of email via the alleged open relay before adding
> that host ot its list.  A properly configured qmail server
> will not act as an open relay even as it fails the abuse.net
> test.
So what is point of having a test that does not give correct
results? It would seem any qmail server will fail the test as
qmail will accept the miscreant mail and deal with it internally.
This behaviour, according to ORBS, will have you listed as an
open relay.

--
Kind regards

Kevin Waterson